Saturday 30 November 2019

Lincolnshire Rush-seated Corner Chair corner chair, 3 straight backpoles, with pad feet, 2 splats, double Lincs front stretcher, double rear stretcher, double side stretchers, 3 part crest rail,

WS 69 Lincolnshire Corner Rush-seated Chair
This corner chair appeared in a Lincoln auction house in 2012. I studied it closely and was convinced it was a Lincolnshire chair the like of which I had never seen before. When it came to the auction someone else wanted it more than me, as I was left being the under-bidder. It was in fair condition and really should have spent the rest of its life in a museum in the county; I think I could search for many years and never see another: anyway we can all enjoy the image of it here. I sent a copy of this picture to Dr Bernard Cotton and he replied that this was the only Lincolnshire rush seated chair he had ever seen - it just makes me feel all the more foolish for not bidding higher.

© William Sergeant 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment