Tuesday 24 March 2020

Lincolnshire comb back Windsor armchair with curved crest rail, turned stiles, 7 long spindles, 6 short, turned underarm supports, straight seat sides, 2 ring front leg turnings with vase feet, rear legs plain with vase feet, H stretcher, attributed to the workshop of Samuel Wood of Grantham

Lincolnshire comb back Windsor armchair with curved crest rail and turned stiles
I had just published yesterday's post on the chairs of Samuel Wood of Grantham, in which three chairs with turned underarm supports, believed to be unique to that maker's workshop, are featured, when I thought I might just check again whether there were any other stamped "Wood Grantham" chairs hiding on the web anywhere. I spent a few minutes checking my usual sources amongst auction houses, antiques dealers, and all other material for chair-fans published on the web: nothing emerged. I have a comprehensive private digital database of every known stamped Lincolnshire chair and checked that to make sure I hadn't overlooked one that was already known about. Nothing.

I went for a walk around the garden to get a breath of fresh air in these sad days of self-isolation. I had a chat, from a distance, with one of my wonderful neighbours, decided I was getting a little chilly, and went back to my laptop which is currently set up on the dining room table so I can watch the world go by through the windows.

As I sat down I glanced at one of my chairs that sits around the table and did a double take. I was looking at a front leg absolutely identical to the lower chair in yesterday's post, WS 175. I cautiously looked up and realised that I was now looking at an identical underarm turning. The back legs, plain but with vase feet are the same as WS 175 too. 

The long spindles all are thicker below the arm bow and thinner above the arm bow, which is also true of the upper chair in yesterday's post, WS 173. The ends of the arm bow are finished in the same way. The rear legs and H stretcher, the centre part of which, unusually amongst Lincolnshire chairs, is almost of the same girth as the legs, are the same as WS 173. The front chamfer on the sides and front of the seats are the same. The whole seat shape is very similar.  This comb back, which I bought last year because of its pleasing proportions, can now be attributed to the workshop of Samuel Wood of Grantham.

WS 173, reversed, on the left; comb back on right
It is striking how well the comb back's 3 pairs of turned rings, graduated in descending size, cascading from top to bottom, i) on the stiles (vertical turned outer members); ii) on the turned underarm supports; and iii) on the front legs, bring the design of the chair together into a well-balanced harmonious whole. The craftsman who made this chair was very skilled indeed.

Sharp-eyed readers may notice considerable similarity to this chair by George Wilson.  George Wilson, was of course, Samuel Wood's master when the latter was apprenticed. There are tell-tale differences between the two chairs.

The Samuel Wood workshop went for two similarly-sized inverted isosceles trapezoid spaces either side of the 3 short spindles. This is a pleasingly harmonious method of resolving the angles which happen when the comb leans back and the underarm support, holding the arm bow in tension, leans forward (ditto for WS 173).  Four vase-shaped feet break up the otherwise straight line at the foot of the legs and mirror the turning at the top of the stiles.

The Wilson chair places the first short spindle each side below the arm bow further back, behind the mortice joint where the stile meets the arm bow. This leaves a larger asymmetric trapezoid space at the underarm support, which does not sit so elegantly with the upper obtuse trapezoid space between the last long spindle and the stile of the comb.  The single lower ring, which may be a slightly earlier Grantham trait than vase-shaped feet, has no counterpoint on the back legs. The result, for me at least, is that the Wood chair has a slightly more pleasing feel.

© Julian Parker 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment