Wednesday 25 September 2019

Lincolnshire rush-seated bar top ladder back side chair: straight back uprights with tapered feet & flattened stay rail fixed onto prominent button turnings; 3 plain domed ladders; straight turned front legs with tulip-shaped feet, morticed into the seat frame, with rushing bars; front stretcher with turnery often found in Lincolnshire, double side & rear stretchers

WS 195 Bar top rush-seated ladder back side chair

My thanks must go to James Drake, a fellow chair collector, who was kind enough to inform me about some rush-seated chairs that were being offered for sale at Gildings auctioneers in June 2018 at Market Harborough. I was able to look at an image online and decided that they were worth bidding for - there were four chairs in the lot, a pair of bar top as above, one the same as No 59 on this site and a Lancashire wavy back chair. There was only one bid, which was mine, so I managed to secure them for the princely sum of £10 plus commission.
In all my years of collecting these Lincolnshire rush-seated chairs, I have never come across these bar topped examples, indeed there is only a single image of this type in all the published literature that I am aware of, but I am in no doubt that they were produced in the county.  This chair is compared with two others at No 196.

© William Sergeant 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment