Wednesday 25 September 2019

Lincolnshire rush-seated ladder back side chair: straight back uprights with tapered feet & flattened top finials; 4 ladders with lower indented shaping; square cornered cabriole front legs morticed into the seat frame, with rushing bars; front stretcher with turnery often found in Lincolnshire, double side & rear stretchers

WS 157 possibly from Spilsby

Original and untouched. I am indebted to Richard from Saxilby for helping me to acquire a pair of completely original Lincolnshire rush-bottomed chairs. He knew that I collected these chairs and when on his travels he saw these in a window of a Horncastle antique shop he turned around and inquired about them. He was told that they had come out of a house in Spilsby and were the left-overs from a group of a carver and six side chairs. He purchased them and then passed them on to me for my collection. Unfortunately I have been able to establish the veracity of the story of their previous ownership but I am still working on it. Finding a provenance for vernacular furniture is so important; proving they came from Spilsby would be a real bonus.

© William Sergeant 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment