Wednesday 20 May 2020

Lincolnshire hoop back Windsor side chair stamped Camm Grantham with 6 long spindles, straight seat sides, ring and cove front leg turnings with 1 lower ring, plain back legs, H stretcher WS 99 & WS 98

Lincolnshire hoop back Windsor side chair stamped Camm Grantham with 6 long spindles, straight seat sides, ring and cove front leg turnings with 1 lower ring, plain back legs, H stretcher WS 99
Lincolnshire hoop back Windsor side chair stamped Camm Grantham  WS 98
This is a exquisitely charming Grantham side chair of such dainty proportions. The way I got this chair really underlines how generous some people are: read on. This chair was advertised as a child's chair signed by CAMM by an auction house in Derbyshire.  I initially missed it in the net but a good friend kindly emailed me with the details. I realised that it was an previously unrecorded spindle back side chair from Thomas Camm of Grantham and would fit nicely in my collection. 

However, when the day came for the auction, the weather forecast was not good and even though I set off for the Peak District it soon became obvious that, with the snow, it was not sensible to carry on and I reluctantly turned back. When I got home it had been sold and for not very much: you can imagine my disappointment! 

At the beginning of the following week I contacted the auctioneers and asked then to pass my details on to the purchaser as I wished to at least try and record this chair for the benefit of all.  Just imagine my surprise when later in the day I got a phone call from Tracey in Burton saying that she had the chair and had viewed my website and was happy for me to collect it. What a treasure: both the chair and Tracey ! I travelled to Burton the following week and had pleasure of meeting Tracey.  I also took Dr B D Cotton's The English Regional Chair (1990) along and was able to identify the maker of a yew Windsor chair she also had. The little Camm chair exceeded all expectation and had obviously come from a very good home: I settled up and returned home really happy.

Many thanks to Euan for flagging up this chair; many thanks to Hansons Auctioneers for passing along my details and finally my heart felt appreciation to Tracey for her kindness. I don't usually include makers stamps on this site (so when I say a chair is signed you will just have to trust me that it is) but this is slightly unusual.  All the chairs that I have seen signed by Camm have the word Grantham below. There are several examples in 
The English Regional Chair (1990). This one is different in that the words are side by side which shows that he had one stamp for each word. OK, I know it's not an earth-shattering revelation but it all adds to the knowledge of their workshop practice.

© William Sergeant 2013 and 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment