Friday 8 May 2020

The Will of Henry Webb Windsor chair maker of the hamlet of Hammersmith 1731 - 1793

Henry Webb of Hammersmith (about whose Windsor chair making business an account may be found here in the second half of Robert Parrott's article at pp. 127 to 138) died in 1793.  

A full transcription of his will has never been published before. Throughout the will, where an abbrevation appears, it has been transcribed in full in square brackets. Thus 'Exors' appears as '[Executors]' and so on. The testator, his lawyer and lawyer's clerk were not great fans of punctuation. Sorry again.

In the name of God Amen I Henry Webb of the hamlet of Hammersmith in the parish of ffulham in the county of Middlesex Windsor Chair Maker being of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding for which I thank God and desirious of avoiding all Differences and Disputes among my Kinsmen after my decease concerning my Estate and Effects Do make my last Will and Testament in manner following (that is to say) ffirst I commit my Soul into the hands of Almighty God my Creator in full hope of a joyfull Resurrection to eternal Life through the merits of my Redeemer and my Body I commit to the Earth to be buried in a Decent manner at the Discretion of my Executors hereinafter appointed and as to all my Estate and Effects both real and personal wherewith it has pleased Almighty God to bless me and which I now am or shall be seized and possessed of or entitled  at the time of my Decease I give devise and dispose thereof in manner following (that is to say) I Give and Devise and my Eldest son John Webb his heirs and assigns for ever all that my piece or parcel of ffreehold Land or and with the [Appurtenances] which I purchased of William ffaulkener Esquire situate in Hammersmith aforesaid adjoining to the Hampshire Hog Alehouse now in the possession of Allen Newman Gardiner Also I do hereby Give and Devise unto my said Son John Webb his Heirs and Assigns for ever all that my Copyhold Messuage or Tenement situate in Hammersmith aforesaid wherein I now live and reside and carry on my Trade and Business with all and every the Erections Buildings Workshops Timber Yard and all other Yards Gardens and [Appurtenances] whatsoever thereunto belonging as the same now are in my hands and Possession except the Chamber wherein my Daughter Martha Webb usually sleeps and the Bed Bedding and all the ffurniture and Goods therein which I do hereby Give to my said Daughter and also reserve the said Chamber to and for the use and accommodation of my said Daughter with ffull liberty at all times of going and returning to and from and using the same in a ffamily way as she has always done for and during such time as she shall think fit or desire to retain and keep the said Room without paying any Rent or making any satisfaction or Compensation whatever to her said Brother for the same Also I do hereby Give and Devise unto my son Henry Webb his Heirs and Assigns for ever all those my two Copyhold Tenements with their [Appurtenances] situate and being in ffrog Lane in Hammersmith aforesaid and which are known or Distinguished by the Numbers 1&2 and now are in the several Tenures or Occupations of James Adams Basket Maker and Edward Phelps Gardener together with the large Shed erected behind the same and adjoining thereto and which is now used as a Store House with the Ground leading from the Corner of the said Storehouse to the Corner Part of James Adams Yard Also I do hereby Give and Devise unto my said Daughter Martha Webb her Heirs and Assigns for ever all that my other Copyhold Messuage or Tenement situate in ffrog Lane aforesaid known or distinguished by No. 3 and now in the Tenure or Occupation of Mr Lyonsworth with the Yard Garden and all other [Appurtenances] thereto belonging all which said Copyhold Messuages or Tenements and Premises hereinbefore Devised unto and for the use and benefit of my said three Kinsmen and their respective Heirs and Assigns in manner aforesaid are held of the Lord of the Manor of ffulham and have been duly surrendered by me to the use of my last Will and Testament Also I do hereby Give and Bequeath unto my said Daughter Martha Webb six hundred Pounds part of my Capital Stock now standing in the Transfer Books in my name in the new ffour per Cent Bank Annuities to and for her own sole and separate use and benefit and that the same or any part thereof shall not be subject to or liable to the Debts Controll or Engagements of any Husband my said Daughter shall happen to marry But that her Receipt above notwithstanding such Coverture shall be sufficient Discharge for the same also I Give and Bequeath unto my said Son John Webb one hundred Pounds other part of my Stock in the same ffund for his own use and benefit Also I Give and Bequeath unto my said Son Henry Webb two hundred and ffifty Pounds other part of my said Stock in the same ffund for his own use and benefit Also I Give and Bequeath and to the Churchwarden and overseers of the Poor of the Hamlet of Hammersmith aforesaid and their successor Churchwarden and overseers of the Poor for the time being ffifty Pounds Residue of the said Stock in the same ffund in Trust to receive and take the Dividends thereof from time to time as the same shall become due and payable and lay out the same in Bread to be free distributed unto and amongst such poor persons of the said Hamlet as they shall think most worthy of free Relief and at such times and in such manner as they shall in their discretion think proper Also I Give and Bequeath all my Household Goods and Furniture Books Plate China Household Linnen Clocks Watches Utensils and all other my Chattels and Effects whatsoever which now are all shall be in or about my said Dwelling House at Hammersmith aforesaid at the time of my Decease save and except my Wearing Apparel unto my said Sons John and Henry Webb and my said Daughter Martha Webb in and buy equal parts or shares and in order to prevent Disputes or Differences among my Children said to render such disposition as equal as possible It is my Will and I do hereby Direct that all the Household ffurniture Plates China Linnen Goods Chattels and Effects hereinbefore given to my said three Children shall in due time after my Decease be valued and appraised by some Broker or Auctioneer chosen by them or come by and on the behlaf of each of them and shall be divided into three lots parts or shares as near in value as possible and that one of such third parts or shares shall be Allotted and Delivered to and for the use and benefit of the said John Webb my Older Son another third part or share to and for the use and benefit of the said Henry Webb my Younger Son and the other third part or share to and for the use and benefit of my said Daughter Martha Webb and if such parts or shares shall not be perfectly agreeable to my said Children then I direct that lots shall be drawn by them for their respective parts or shares and that the same shall be conclusive. Also I do hereby Give and Bequeath all my Wearing Apparel whatsoever to my said two Sons John and Henry Webb to be Divided between them in such manner as shall be most agreeable to them also I do hereby Give and Bequeath to my said two Sons John and Henry Webb all my Stock in Trade consisting of Chairs Timber Wood Utensils Implements and other things and Materials in the way of my Trade or Business which I shall be possessed of at the time of my Decease equally between them share and share alike and in order to prevent any Dispute or Difference between them and to render such Disposition as equal as Possible it is my Will and I do hereby Direct that all such Stock in Trade Chairs Timber Wood Utensils Implements and other things and Materials as aforesaid shall in due and Convenient time after my Decease be valued and appraised by one or two Indifferent Persons Conversant in the said Business and shall be Divided into two lots or shares as near in value as can be ascertained and that one of such lots or shares shall be Allotted and Delivered to and for the use and benefit of the said John Webb and the other lot or shares shall be Allotted and Delivered to and for the use and benefit of the said Henry Webb and in Case such allotment or share shall not be perfectly agreeable to my said Sons then I direct that lots shall be drawn by them for their respective part or share which shall be Conclusive and I do recommend to my said Sons to be kind and affectionate to their Sister and to give her such Assistance as they conveniently can and live in love and friendship and behave with a proper Regard and Respect to each other also I do hereby Give and Bequeath to Mr James Lasbrey and Mr Nathan Smith of Hammersmith aforesaid the Sum of ten Pounds each for their Trouble as my Executors in and about the Execution of this my Will and subject to and after payment of all my Just Debts or ffuneral and Testamentary Charges and Expenses and of the said Pecuniary Legacies and also subject to the several specific Bequests hereinbefore contained I do hereby Give and Bequeath all my other Monies and Securities for Money and all the Rest and Residue of my Stock or Annuities in the Public ffunds and also all Debts and Sums of Money which shall be due and owing to me in Trade or Business at the time of my Deceased and all other my Personal Estate and Effects of what nature or kind soever which I shall then be possessed of or intitled onto and which shall be belonging to or owing to me in any Right Ways or Means whatsoever unto my said two Sons John and Henry Webb and my said Daughter Martha Webb in and by equal parts or shares or proportions for their respective use and benefit and I do also Will and Direct that it shall and may be lawful to and for my said Executors respectively and their respective Executors and [Administrators] from time to time in the first Place to receive and to take or Deduct out of the said Monies and Estate to their own respective use and uses all such Costs Charges Damages and Expenses whatsoever as they or either of them shall pay expend all be put unto or sustain in or about the Execution Performance Proof or Defence of this my Will or any deduction [?] Matter or thing Relating thereto and to retain from time to time reasonable sums of Money for their Incidental Expenses and ffurther that neither of my said Executors shall be answerable or accountable for any more than they shall actually receive and that neither of them shall be answerable or accountable for the Acts Deeds Receipts or Payments of the other of them but each of them with and for his own Acts Deeds Receipts or Payments only and Lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint the said James Lasbrey and the said Nathan Smith Executors of this my will and hereby revoking all and every other Will or Wills by me at any time heretofore made do declare this alone to be and contain my last Will and Testament in Witness Whereof I the testator Henry Webb have to this my said last Will and Testament contained in the four sheets of paper to the first second and third sheets wrote my name into this ffourth and last sheet set my hand and seal this ffifth Day of May in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety three

Henry Webb 

Signed Sealed Published and Declared by the said Testator Henry Webb as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have at his request and in his presence and that of each other subscribed our names as as Witnesses thereto 

Robert Taylor
Joseph Cromwell
Greg Geering 
Hammersmith 


Whereas I have by my last Will and Testament bearing Date the ffifth Day of May instant Given and Bequeathed unto my two Sons John and Henry Webb all my Stock in Trade to be equally Divided between them in a manner therein particularly mentioned now I do hereby subject the same and every part thereof with the payment of the Sum of ffifty Pounds to my Daughter Martha Webb and Direct the same to be paid by my said two Sons out of the Produce thereof as soon as conveniently maybe after my Decease Also I Give and Bequeath to my Niece Mary Carter the sum of £20 to be paid to her within 12 months next after my Decease and it is my Desire and I do hereby Declare that this paper writing shall be taken as a codicil to my said Will be added thereto and to confirm my said Will in all other respects Witness my hand and seal this twenty eighth Day of May in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety three

Henry Webb 

Signed Sealed Published and Declared by the said Henry Webb as a Codicil to his said Will in the presence of us 

James Self 
Greg Geering 

This Will was proved at London with a Codicil the 5th of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety three before the worshipful Maurice Swabey Doctor of Laws and Surrogate of the Right Honourable Sir William Wynne Knight also Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oaths of James Lansbrey and Nathan Smith the Executors named in the said Will to whom Administration of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said Deceased was granted having been first sworn duly to Administer.

Transcribed from the original in the National Archives Reference PROB-11-1234-3.

© Julian Parker 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment