Wednesday 20 May 2020

Will of Timothy Carter, chairmaker of Hammersmith, 1768-1821

A full transcription of this will has never been published before.

This is the last Will and testament of me Timothy Carter of Hammersmith in the county of Middlesex Chair maker which I make and publish in manner following that is to say I do appoint my dear wife Hannah Carter and my ffriend Mr Robert Simpson of Hammersmith aforesaid gentleman to be executrix and executor of this my will and also guardians to my children I direct that my trade of a victualler and also my trade of chair maker here carried on by me at Hammersmith aforesaid be continued by my Executrix and Executor for the benefit of my said wife and children but in case my said Executrix and Executor shall meet with a favourable opportunity of disposing of the said trades and businesses or either of them and it shall in their judgement be most advantageous for my Estate to sell and dispose of the same and the Lease of the premises in which either of them is now carried on then I do hereby authorise and empower them to sell and dispose of the same according and I do give and devise my copyhold Messuage and Land situate at Warfield in the county of Berks to my said wife for and during the term of her natural life and after her decease I give and devise the same to my three children Mary Susanna and Joan as tenants in common and not as joint tenants I also give and bequeath all my Leasehold Messuages or Tenements and Premises situate at Hammersmith aforesaid and all other my Estate and Effects whatsoever to my said wife for her life as aforesaid and direct that she do and shall pay and apply a sufficient part of the Rents Issues and Profits thereof and also of my said Copyhold Estate and of the Income Interest or proceeds of other the clear residue of my Estate and Effects after payment of my just debts ffuneral and testamentary expenses in and for the maintenance and support of my said three children during their minority and for their advancement in the world and I direct that my said Executrix and Executor shall not be answerable or responsible the one for the other of them or the Acts or Deeds of the other but each for herself and himself only nor for any more of my Estate and Effects than shall be actually received by them respectively nor for any involuntarily loss or diminution thereof and that they do and shall satisfy and reimburse themselves all and every costs charges and expenses which they or either of them shall pay expend or be put unto in or about the execution of this my will ( + and I give to the said Robert Simpson the sum of ten pounds as a token of respect of his trouble in the execution of this my will) and I declare that the receipt or receipts of my said Executors shall be good and effectual discharges to the Purchaser or Purchasers of any part of my Estates or Effects which may be sold or disposed of under this my will and that such Purchaser or Purchasers shall not be bound to see to the application of such purchase money or accountable for the misapplication or non-application thereof and hereby revoking all other wills by me heretofore made I declare this only to be and contain my last Will and testament in witness whereof I have here unto set my hand and seal this twenty second day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty one

Timothy Carter

Signed Sealed published and declared by the said Testator Timothy Carter as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence and at his request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto the interlineations in the third line of the first side and also between the second and third lines of this last side being first made

Samuel Naylor Great Newport Street
Thomas Saunders Hammersmith
James Saunders Hammersmith

Proved at London 22 April 1822 before the worshipful Charles Coote Doctor of Laws & Sworn by the oath of Hannah Carter Widow the Relict and Robert Simpson Executors to whom Administration was granted having been first sworn DULY to administer.

Transcribed from Timothy Carter’s will in the National Archives reference PROB-11-1655-364

© Julian Parker 2020









No comments:

Post a Comment